Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 75

So, can we please talk about the fact that I have been awful about posting these last couple of weeks. It's been craziness.  But, I am SUPER excited about this post as it contains much about one of my biggest passions: PAPER! Let's talk wedding invites!


I can honestly say I have a bit of an obsession.  While working in the wedding invitation industry for a year and a half, and most of it at the FINE invitation boutique in Ft. Worth (and I believe the finest in the DFW metroplex), Byrd & Bleeker, I have developed knowledge and appreciation for the finest correspondence. Letterpress, embossing, envelope liners, calligraphy, the works! I was exposed to the best of the best in every aspect, and of course developed a little bitty problem I like to call "a fine appreciation for great design and product", aka: EXPENSIVE TASTE.


At the beginning of this whole wedding planning process, I  can honestly say that I seriously considered making huge sacrifices in other areas of our budget just to have our invitations hand written by a calligrapher.  However, those of you who fancy fancy paper do-dads and little somethings know that calligraphy is ESSSSSSPENSIVE!!!! So, I quickly snapped to reality realizing I didn't want to sacrifice budget THAT much, knowing I would probably have to find my wedding dress at Target. Ya, NO. *sigh* So, the quest began to research creative alternatives.


It was a challenge, but I made it work and had tons of fun finding inspiration for design, verbiage, etc.  I kept going back to my favorite elements: frames and cartouches, silhouettes, calligraphy, vintage letter techniques, wax seals, bakers twine, and more.  It wasn't easy, but I came up with a glorious design that I'm proud to call my own that is within budget and super unique!  I don't want to spoil the surprise before I send them out, so I'll wait to debut them (I know, the suspense is killing you), but I will give you some inspirational images that caught my eye.  Enjoy a dip into the wonderful world of all things paper.


Here were a few of my favorites in my search for inspiration:


Whimsical verbiage and calligraphy, and lovin' the yarn and button!

Bird & Banner

Invitations printed on handkerchiefs. Can we say vintage GENIUS?

Bird & Banner


Beautiful hand lettering and illustrations!

Rifle Design

You can't get much better than Boddington's imagery and color palette.

Mr. Boddington's Studio

The most whimsical and unique invites I came across!

The War on Mars
Her calligraphy will ever dance to the music of my soul! 

Betsy Dunlap

And then, just for reference...
Letterpress I love:





Calligraphy I love:















Illustrators I love:


(borrowed from the lefthanded calligraphers post)



(illustrator for Henri Bendel in New York City)

1 comment: